Adult Acne - "Why do I still have Acne?"
Unfortunately acne is a condition that can affect everyone, whether teenager or adult. Adult acne can appear at any stage in your adult life and is often a source of great distress for those afflicted with it.
There are many things that can be done to get rid of adult acne. Adult acne treatments work much the same way as treatment for teenage acne. There is no fast overnight cure for adult acne, but some patience and a careful acne treatment routine can bring clear skin in a very short amount of time.
Acne is caused by sebum oil and dead skin cells clogging your skin pores. This usually happens to teenagers as they have high levels of androgens (male hormones) that over-stimulate the sebaceous glands. However, there are thousands of adults who suffer from adult acne.
Acne on the face is often the most distressing form of adult acne as it is most public and can be the most embarrassing.
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is an important factor in preventing adult acne. Eating lots of junk food will only make your adult acne worse as will snacks, oily foods, crackers, and high-in-fat dairy products. All these foods dramatically reduce your intestine's ability to process food and will directly affect your adult acne. They can cause excess oil to appear on the skin, which will clog up your pores. Eating more fruit and vegetables and doing regular exercise will help your immune system, improve your skin, and reduce your adult acne.
- Adult acne and alcohol consumption may be related. At present the research is in early stages, however, alcohol is known to have a direct effect on hormones. Your hormones play a major part in maintaining a clear skin and an imbalance is extremely likely to lead to acne breakouts. Therefore it is advisable to drink alcohol only in moderation.
- Stress can lead to adult acne. Stress can have a very negative impact upon your skin as it can directly affect your hormone levels, especially those hormones that contribute to a breakout of acne, particularly on the face and back. While it is almost impossible to remove all sources of stress from your life that contribute to adult acne, dealing with it sensibly through clear thinking and action strategies will help to control your stress levels.
The first thing you must do to treat adult acne is to maintain clean skin.
- Wash your face twice a day to prevent adult acne. You should use a gentle cleanser. This will prevent a build-up of dirt and help keep pores clear. However, don't wash your face too much as it leads to more dead skin cells and clogged pores, which can cause adult acne.
- Clear your skin pores of dead skin cells to prevent further development of adult acne. Use a product containing salicylic acid, this will clear your pores and help prevent clogging.
- Apply a topical adult acne treatment that contains benzoyl peroxide. Benzoyl peroxide will combat acne causing bacteria and help prevent further outbreaks of adult acne. Be aware that this can dry your skin slightly so a moisturizer may be necessary.
- Avoid touching your face, which can spread bacteria and cause adult acne breakouts (both pimples and blackheads) to expand. You should also try to not pop your pimples, as well as spreading bacteria it can also leave acne scars.
The key to getting rid of acne is consistency and patience. Adult acne treatments take time to work and you can't expect your face to clear overnight. However, if you maintain a routine you should be able to get rid of adult acne in a matter of weeks.
If you really can't get rid of your adult acne then consult a dermatologist. They will be able to prescribe prescription only medications, which can be necessary for the most severe forms of acne.